By Carl Adamec
It’s official. There will be a 1-2 matchup at Maples Pavilion Saturday.
Stanford remained No. 1 in the Associated Press poll, released Monday, for the sixth straight week. The Cardinal (11-0) received 24 first-place votes. UConn (10-0) stayed at No. 2 and got 14 first-place votes.
The Huskies visit Stanford at 4 p.m. Saturday. It’s the first 1-2 meeting between the schools since the 2010 national championship game in San Antonio, won by UConn 53-47. The Huskies lead the series 7-6 but are 0-3 at Maples Pavilion included a 71-59 loss on Dec. 30, 2010, that ended UConn’s NCAA record 90-game winning streak.
There’s little change in the Adamec Top 10 for this week. Merry Christmas!!
1. Stanford (11-0). Cardinal take 82-game home winning into Saturday showdown with UConn.
2. UConn (10-0). Huskies are 13-3 in 1-2 matchups.
3. Baylor (9-1). Scored first 17 points in rout of Tennessee.
4. Duke (10-0). Blue Devils win twice on west coast.
5. Notre Dame (9-1). Skylar Diggins MVP in Las Vegas tournament.
6. Kentucky (9-1). Back home after two wins in southern California.
7. California (9-1). Bears knock off Kansas.
8. Georgia (12-0). Bulldogs’ lone game last week a win over TCU.
9. Penn State (10-2). Big 10 play next for Lady Lions.
10. Maryland (8-2). Terrapins top Elena Delle Donne, Delaware on the road.